Thursday 6 December 2012

Rethink the Bottle

Kicking my plastic water bottle habit has been my biggest challenge. It wasn’t until a few years into university that I finally made the switch... All it took was living on my own (which meant paying for my own groceries) and a lot of peer pressure.

When you actually think about it, the concept of bottled water is a little ridiculous. Some genius came up with the idea to take tap water (which is what many bottled water companies use in Ontario) which is virtually free and marking the price up by up to 4000%... And people are still willing to pay for it!! 

I think it is time to rethink the bottle.

If you are worried about the safety of tap water versus bottled water, listen to this. In Canada, municipal tap water has very strict monitoring guidelines. These guidelines do not apply to bottled water and the testing is not as frequent. Not to mention, as the bottle breaks down over time (especially in hot temperatures) chemicals leach into the water – and who knows how long that case of water has been sitting in a warehouse or on the shelf? 

If you don’t like the taste of your tap water, DON’T PANIC! Pick up a water filter, either a standalone filter to put in your fridge or one to put on your tap, like Pur water filters, to change the taste of your water. While you’re at it, pick up some colorful reusable water bottles. I use metal bottles, but my sister finds that it can give off a metallic taste. Reusable plastic bottles also work well... Just make sure they are BPA free.

Make it a habit of taking your new bottle with you. That way you have it on hand and won’t have to buy a bottle of water when you get thirsty. I keep one in my purse at all times and bring at least one extra with me to work. Not only is it convenient, but it’s also FREE. And once you get used to bringing your bottle everywhere, I promise you won’t miss the plastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment