Saturday 25 January 2014

Upcycling My Apartment

For some time now I have been obsessed with the idea of upcycling - Taking something used or something that could be considered waste and turning it into something fantastic!  For me the most fascinating type of upcycling is anything involving skids - possibly due to my past in retail. Skids are just so versatile - tables, deck chairs, planters, you name it… you can do it.  I must admit Pinterest has only fed the fire, giving me more and more ideas for projects that I have no time to complete or no where to put. 

Luckily I recently moved out of my parents house and into my own apartment! I am now a grown up. Even more fortunate… I have a man friend who is handy with tools.  When we moved in we had very little furniture for our living room - we spent a few weeks with out a couch… repainted a terribly ugly bookshelf… inherited a TV stand and we are currently using another TV stand as a side table. The one piece I knew that I wanted my man friend to make was a coffee table out of… you guessed it… skids. So he worked his butt off and pulled together this amazing table!  


I love it! From what I am told our coffee table cost about $25 - essentially the cost of the stain and varnish.  Way better than the majority of coffee tables we saw while we were couch shopping with a similar style costing over $150. 

Not only was the table cheap … it is also something that is unique to our apartment - something that no one else has (those of you that know me know that that is probably my favourite part). 

Next, I'm hoping that eventually we can find time to pull together some side tables to match. 

No comments:

Post a Comment