Tuesday 4 December 2012

My Environmental Journey

I grew up in the country, which I believe has given me a different perspective on certain things that most people take for granted.

Water, for instance, was a very precious commodity to us growing up. We had a very small well which made doing laundry, washing dishes, showering and using the toilets very challenging for a family of five. On many occasions we would get part way through a shower only to have the water run out. We would then have to sit and wait in the cold, covered in shampoo for 15 minutes until we had enough water to rinse off. I remember having birthday parties where we would have to put a sign in the bathroom asking our guests to 'flush every other time please.' Try explaining that at the age of nine.

We also didn't have - and still don't have - garbage pickup. Instead we take our garbage directly to the dump... Paying for each visit. Because of this my family and I became experts at composting at recycling... Driving our plastics and paper across town to the sorting facility and braving the cold to the compost bin in our backyard. We have since been given recycling and green bin pick up but this need to divert as much as we can to minimize our trips to the dump has stuck with me.

It wasn't until I hit university that I started making conscious decisions to make my life more sustainable - which for me was a big deal. I'm going to be honest with you... I am a creature of habit and as such I HATE CHANGE! I have altered my life for the better in many ways but I admit that I am not perfect and I still have a long way to go.

Here I will share some of the simple changes I have made to my life and that you can easily make too. SIMPLE ACTIONS MATTER and the more small steps you take - the more you 'lean into green' - the bigger the impact you will have on the planet, the future and even your wallet!

No comments:

Post a Comment