Sunday 30 March 2014

Let There Be Light

My next upcycling project for my apartment was our lamps. Since I met him my boyfriend had always had these terrible looking lamps in his bedroom. The stand was tarnished gold and for some reason the shade always made me think of the inside of a genies lamp. Worst of all they were covered in dust that never seemed to disappear. 

Needless to say, there was no way I was going to have these lamps in my new appt looking like that. So I decided to transform them. 

We bought a can of black spray paint and sprayed the bases and I went out and bought new lamp shades. The bases turned out to be amazing - the black really brought out all of the intricate detail (a feature that I hated before, but is now one of my favourite things about the lamps). 

Ideally I would have loved to cover the old metal frame of the lamp shade with some sort of inexpensive material like burlap however the existing frames were in pretty rough shape so I decided against it. 

Here is the finished product! 


In the end I think we spent approximately $35 to complete both lamps (would have been much less if I could have salvaged the shade frames) and they look great! Who could ask for anything more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment