Tuesday 1 January 2013

My Green Resolution

My Green Resolution this year - reduce the amount of plastic ziplock bags I use to store food. When I was back at school, I got very good at this but since I've moved back home I have found myself slipping... This has got to change!

Surprisingly, this is a really easy change to make and it will save you money as well! Instead of using a bag once and throwing it out you can make the switch to reusable containers and bags - with very little cost.

Every person I know has a stash of reusable plastic containers in their cupboards... the lucky ones even have some glass ones tucked away.  So instead of a ziplock bag, store your leftovers in those containers and take them with you in your lunch to work, or send them to school with your kids favourite snack inside!

As much as I love containers, I find that if I were to bring a container for every item that I pack in my lunch I would have to bring at least two lunch bags to hold them all. For some items (like veggies, almonds, snack foods etc) containers can be a little bulky. Instead, I use reusable sandwich bags.

I ordered mine from www.lunchskins.com and I love them! They velcro shut, they can go straight in the dishwasher, they sit flat when they are empty (therefore they take up little space) and the best part... they come in all different sizes and colours. LOVE!!

There are many other different brands of bags. Some close with velcro, others zipper shut.. they come in different shapes and sizes.  For Christmas I received a sandwich wrap bag that you can adjust to the size of your sandwich. Handy! I've shown the instructions here.

There are lots of different options... you just have to go out and find them. I have seen many groupons and wag jags etc for bags like this so keep an eye out - or look up coupons online - so that you can get the best deal!


Somethings to keep in mind 
  • If you are going to be microwaving your food, try to use glass containers. Plastic containers break down in the microwave and can leech chemicals into your food. 
  • Also make sure you don't put juicy/messy foods into your reusable bags - they will wreak havoc on your lunch bag! 
Keep at it and you will be amazed at how few ziplock bags you will go through and how much money you will save in 2013 and beyond!

What is your Green Resolution??

For more easy ways to make a difference this year, check out this article:
http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/responsible-living/stories/10-easy-green-new-years-resolutions-for-the-eco-slacker

No comments:

Post a Comment